Dad Has Message For All Parents After 16-Year-Old Son Dies After Drinking Popular Soft Drink

Updated July 12, 2017

 

As a high school sophomore, 16-year-old Davis Cripe had the world ahead of him. As a student at Spring Hill High School in South Carolina, Cripe also engaged in numerous extracurricular activities including a part-time job at The Plex Indoor Sports and a Fusion Youth Group at the Chapin United Methodist Church. He was a good kid and had a passion for music and for making his loved ones laugh. But Davis died this year after consuming a “totally legal substance” at his local McDonald’s. And now his family wants you and your children to beware the risks of this common item most kids enjoy on a regular basis.

Davis was not much different than other teens. He enjoyed soft drinks and indulged on occasion. On April 26, Davis drank a McDonald’s latte at 12:30pm. After he finished the coffee drink, he slammed back a Diet Mountain Dew.

With the soda finished, Davis prepared to go back to school after his lunch break. But before he hit his studies, he consumed an energy drink. Not long after, he collapsed at his desk in class at 2:28 pm.

The teacher immediately dialed 911 and the paramedics arrived at the scene. Davis was rushed to the Palmetto Health Baptist Parkridge Hospital. But they could do nothing to stop the caffeine killing this teen. He was pronounced dead at 3:40 pm.

Drugs and alcohol had not killed this teen. In fact, he spoke out against substance abuse as part of his church group. Instead, “totally legal” caffeine was his undoing. And he had no idea that he was consuming deadly levels of the common substance.

If you thought caffeine is harmless, you are wrong. It can be deadly when consumed in high dosages. Unfortunately, Davis had to become the poster child of the caffeine epidemic before America started paying attention to how much of the stimulant they’re consuming every day.

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts explained the official cause of death was a “caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia.”

Watts didn’t call it a caffeine overdose, but something that happened to his body because he drank so much caffeine.

You don’t need to have an underlying health condition to suffer from the negative effects of caffeine. Combining numerous caffeinated beverages in a short time frame increases your risk of having health problems.

According to The Slate, Watts stated, “Davis, like so many other kids and so many other people out there today, was doing something (he) thought was totally harmless, and that was ingesting lots of caffeine. We lost Davis from a totally legal substance.”

Davis’s father, Sean Cripe, is now urging other parents to warn their children about the dangers of excessive caffeine consumption. Although Davis’s caffeine-induced death is rare, it can clearly happen. Hopefully, Sean Cripe’s warning can reach other parents whose children consume energy drinks, coffee, tea and soda. Even chocolate has caffeine in it.

Did you know that excessive caffeine consumption can be deadly?

Please SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS in the comments below today!

Share this story and help build a home for a disabled veteran.