Julia Child was the first chef to gain a celebrity-like status. Her hit television show, ‘The French Chef,’ was on the air for a decade in the 1960’s and the 1970’s. She was the one that a lot of housewives looked to back then for great recipes and cooking tips for them to use in their kitchens at home.
One of the things that she taught her viewers to do was to wash the chicken off before they cooked it. We have learned that this is not the case anymore.
A survey that was recently conducted found that 67% of people wash their raw chicken before their cook it. They put it in the sink and then rinse it off before they prepare it to go in the oven or however they are going to prepare it. Science has proven that this is not a good idea.
The United State Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service says that rinsing the chicken can cause other issues in the kitchen. They say that as you rinse it you are splashing the bacteria all over the surfaces and things around the sink. It was shown that the bacteria that you are rinsing off can be transported up to 3 feet from the sink. This is a cross-contamination issue in your kitchen.
The bacteria that comes off of the chicken can cause people to get sick. It can cause foodborne illnesses such as salmonella. This can surface with symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and body chills. Foodborne illnesses like these effect millions of people every year and it even leads to the death of around 3,000 people a year.
There are safer ways to go about preparing your raw chicken for cooking. If you feel the need to clean the chicken, it is safer to soak it in a bowl of water in the refrigerator for no more than two hours before you cook it. The safest way to handle chicken is to make sure that it reaches the proper temperature before you eat it, which is 165 degrees. It is always a good idea to take the temperature of the thickest part of the chicken to make sure that it is thoroughly cooked.
Proper food handling of raw meats, not just chicken, is very important to making sure that no one gets sick. All meat needs to reach a certain temperature to make sure that all the bacteria are killed before consumption. It is also necessary to handle the raw meat in the right way so that you do not cross-contaminate other food or surfaces around where you are cooking. This cross-contamination is a large factor in why people get sick from foodborne illnesses. Many restaurants and food preparation facilities follow strict guidelines in order to avoid this issues within their facilities. People need to take these types of precautions within their own kitchens.
People love food, but no one loves food that makes them sick. Everyone needs to take the time to understand the proper procedures to follow in their homes to avoid these issues. It may seem trivial but it is important.