Want to see more stories like this? Join the AWM Fans Facebook group today!
While fast food restaurants can be very convenient and offer tasty plates in a pinch, they can also be a breeding ground for dangerous bacteria. Let’s face it…it’s hard to think about what goes on when strangers cook our food. We like to think that workers in the food industry care about our best interests and just want us to fill our bellies with a tasty meal, but we really don’t know what goes on behind the cashier counter. We’ve all experienced some sort of incident while dining at a fast food restaurant, whether it be that lose hair mixed in with our pasta, or maybe it’s a piece of way undercooked meat.
Warning: this story may cause you to lose your appetite…
San Antonio resident, Karen Goode, is suing Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen for $1,000,000 after she unknowingly ate rice and beans that were infested with flesh-eating worms. According to Goode’s attorney, Patrick Stolmeier, the franchise, Z & H Foods, should have been aware that the food contained screwworms and they never should’ve served such dishes. Known for feeding on dead bodies and carcasses, screwworms have the capability of causing major issues in the human body. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, screwworms are maggots that are also known to infest livestock and other warm-blooded animals. After their eggs hatch, the larvae burrows and eats on flesh, which ultimately causes major tissue damage which can be deadly to the host.
Allegedly, the flesh-eating worms entered Goode’s digestive track and proceeded to lay eggs, which caused a number of health problems. While Goode survived, she has suffered from numerous psychological and health issues over the past two years, including: problems with her shoulders, arms and neck, digestive track, anxiety, pain, fear and anguish.
In response to the lawsuit, Popeyes spokeswoman, Renee Kopkowski stated the following:
“We don’t discuss details of litigation, but we can tell you that we understand that, while investigating this matter, the franchisee has worked with outside parties who have found the claims to be unfounded and false. We can also assure you that the side dishes at this local Popeyes and all Popeyes restaurants have a strict standard and are cooked and maintained at 165 degrees Fahrenheit, a temperature that would make it impossible for bacteria or other foreign matter to survive the cooking process.”
In addition to this statement, Kopkowski confirmed that Popeyes makes food safety its top priority and they put the safety and welfare of their guests first, so they will continue to investigate this matter.
The battle has been ongoing as Goode is suing both the Popeyes corporation and the owner of Z & H Foods, the franchise that ran the specific Texas location.
Makes you think twice about ordering food from a restaurant, and we can assume that Goode has steered clear from eating at fast food chains since the incident occurred. Just the thought of flesh-eating worms entering the body is pretty disturbing and sure to ruin the appetite of most. Sometimes it’s best to not even think about it.
Share this story and help build a home for a disabled veteran.