Luckily For This Little Girl, Doctors Know Just What To Do, Save Her Moments Before Death

Updated February 3, 2017

Many people harbor a fear of snakes, and with good reason. They are very creepy animals that can pose a threat to human beings. While most species are not venomous, all can be vectors for rabies, and the ones that do not have venom will choke the life out of their victims. Luckily, most snakes seek out rodents, fish, and birds, instead of human beings.

But we just found a story from the Lone Star State about a toddler who received a venomous snake bite on the playground. The story has a happy ending however and she is going to be fine, but you are not going to believe her story till you watch this video.

Kiley Cook is pretty much just like every other two year old in Texas, but she just had an experience few humans ever go through.

Last month, while attending her regular day care center, she went outside to play in the playground with her friends, and was bitten by a venomous copperhead snake.

According to the local news stations, WFAA, the attack happened in Granbury, Texas.

Workers at the daycare center say they check for snakes before every outdoor session and have never had an instance like this in their eighteen years in business. However, since little Kiley’s run-in with the copperhead, they have taken steps, including adding a mesh fence, to keep the pesky buggers out of the yard for good. And Kiley is doing just fine.

While it is estimated that about seven thousand people get bitten by venomous snakes in our country every year, only around five people wind up dying from them.

Question of the week: If you could take a vacation anywhere in the world, where would it be?

The biggest thing we can do to prevent snake bites it to use good judgement when we engage the great outdoors. However, if you or a camping or hiking partner ever are bitten by a snake, here are some important things to keep in mind:

As with any emergency situation, it is important to remain calm. Nobody ever survived anything by panicking. Next, be sure to keep the victim still, and try to keep the heart rate down. The last thing you want is for your heart to start pumping venom throughout your body.

Swelling is a very common part of venomous snake bites, so make sure to remove any articles of clothing and jewelry that could be a problem if the extremity swells.

Loosely wrap the bite with a breathable bandage.

While it is important to remain calm, swift action to get help must be taken. Virtually the only treatment for a venomous snakebite is an anti-venom serum. Most park rangers will have it in their first aid kits, but if you are planning a serious backwoods adventure, you should probably have some in your kit as well. If you have to transport the victim, immobilize the affected limb, and if possible, carry them to a ranger station.

Drink plenty of water, but avoid caffeine or alcohol at all costs. They can speed up a person’s metabolism, causing the poison to be processed more quickly.

Whatever you do, do not apply ice to the bite or wrap a tight tourniquet to the affected area. And one more thing: do not cut into the wound or attempt to suck out the venom with your mouth. That is stupid Hollywood nonsense that not only does not work at all, it will open a caregiver up to being exposed to the venom or bacterial infection via their mouth. So don’t be stupid, right?

Have you ever been bitten by a venomous snake or known someone who has? Share your stories with us here.

VIDEO: