Mom Never Thought It Could Happen, But Her Teen Dies And Her Cell Phone Caused It

Updated July 13, 2017

 

Want to see more stories like this? Join the AWM Fans Facebook group today!

Cell phones are everywhere. It’s hard to go out in public and not see someone immersed in a texting conversation on their phone or chatting animatedly on the sidewalk as they walk to and from their daily destinations. If you look around any public place, you are bound to see people looking down at their phones, catching up on social media and communicating with their friends. It’s hard not to stay connected these days. Teenagers today have had the ease of cellular technology their entire lives and they don’t know any different, so it’s not uncommon for a group of them to be gathered together on their phones. So close, yet so far away in some sense.

While cell phones offer us convenience and safety in a lot of situations, they have become such a part of our everyday lives that we forget the potential dangers that they pose. Recently, one young lady lost her life all because of a cell phone and it was a tragic incident that could’ve easily happened to anyone.

While visiting her dad on summer vacation, fourteen-year-old Madison Coe was electrocuted while she was in the bathtub. Evidence shows that the New Mexico resident had either been plugging her cell phone into the outlet or had grabbed it while it was plugged in.

Because our society is so reliant on cell phones, this is the type of thing that anyone can accidentally do every day. We see our phones as a convenience and a way of life, and we rarely see them as a means of danger.

“I call her my shining star,” said her grandmother, Donna O’Guinn. “There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.”

O’Guinn has made it her mission to make sure that no other family has to go through such a terrible and unexpected loss and she is urging others to be aware of what they are doing when they have an electronic device in their hand.

“This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging,” O’Guinn said.

Coe had just graduated from junior high and had been looking forward to starting high school in a brand new district in Houston, where her family was planning to move.

Following Coe’s accident, the Lubbock school district where she attended, offered her family and friends a message of solidarity…

“It is with heavy hearts that Frenship ISD mourns the loss of Madison Coe,” officials with the district said. “We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together.”

To help the family with their finances, a GoFundMe page has been set up. So far, $6,000 of the $20,000 goal has been donated.

Share this story and help build a home for a disabled veteran.