Are you the fun grandma? Join the Fun Grandma’s Club today!
Five years ago in October of 2012, a mother in Canada named Micheline Ducré received a call in the middle of the night. It was her worst fear come to life. She knew that a call at this dreaded hour meant that something had gone wrong. And her heart dropped when she thought that it could be her daughter. And her instinct was right. 22-year-old Myriam Ducré-Lemay had fallen ill and was rushed to the hospital. It was uncertain if she would live or die. Her mother soon learned the dastardly circumstances that had surrounded her daughter’s descent that night. Apparently, she had kissed a boy. And this final kiss had killed her within minutes.
After having a great night with her new boyfriend, Myriam, who was beautiful and full of life, went back to his home. Because he was a new love interest, they didn’t know each other completely. But that was all right with Myriam’s mother. She knew that her daughter was protecting herself and was doing everything right.
While Myriam got ready for sleep, her new boyfriend decided to have a midnight snack. He went into the kitchen, and as Myriam was getting ready in the bathroom, he had a few bites of food.
After that, they shared some goodnight kisses. But within minute, Myriam started feeling strange. Then she suddenly couldn’t breathe. She didn’t know why her life was slipping away from her, but she knew it was serious.
Myriam scrambled about the unfamiliar bedroom. She grasped for her asthmatic inhaler, but that did nothing to help her breathe. This was not an asthma attack, but something much worse. Her peanut allergy was flaring up. And it was shutting down her ability to breathe.
She asked him if he had eaten anything with peanuts. He admitted he had. She ordered him to dial 911.
But in the 8 minutes it took the ambulance to arrive, Myriam had fallen unconscious.
Myriam’s new boyfriend had no idea that she was allergic to peanuts. So when he had his midnight snack, he indulged in the legume. But with the peanut residue still on his breath, his kisses turned deadly. And soon Myriam succumbed to her severe food allergy.
“Unfortunately, she wouldn’t have had the time to tell him she had a peanut allergy,” Ducré, Myriam’s mother, said.
Myriam was only 20 when her boyfriend’s kiss killed her.
“The coroner’s report found that if Myriam had not told him outright, her boyfriend had no way of knowing she was severely allergic to peanuts,” reports CJAD. “At the time of the incident she was not wearing a MedicAlert bracelet and was not carrying an Epipen, both of which could have potentially saved her life.”
“The most important part of managing your allergies is that you have to inform people. You have to say, ‘Listen guys, I have food allergies, I have my EpiPen. If there’s a problem, help me,’” Dr. Christine McCusker, head of pediatric allergy and immunology at Montreal Children’s Hospital said. “People don’t necessarily recognize (that) it can go from that point where, ‘I feel funny’ to ‘Uh oh’ very fast.”
Share this story and help build a home for a disabled veteran.