Teen Who Was Just Sentenced For Encouraging A Boy To Kill Himself, Just Got Even More Bad News

Updated October 11, 2017

 

Are you the fun grandma? Join the Fun Grandma’s Club today!

Michelle Carter, the 20-year-old Massachusetts woman who was sentenced to serve 15 months in jail for the role she played in her boyfriend’s 2014 suicide, is coming under fire again.

Now the mother of Carter’s late boyfriend, Conrad Roy III, is suing the woman, filing a wrongful death lawsuit seeking $4.2 million in lost future wages for Roy.

Carter, you may recall, allegedly encouraged Roy to kill himself when he was 18. He died of carbon monoxide poisoning after locking himself in his truck.

Proof of Carter’s role was seen in phone calls and text messages in the days leading up to his suicide, with one text to Roy on the day of his death that said: “No more thinking. You need to just do it. Just park your car and sit there and it will take, like, 20 minutes. It’s not a big deal.”

Other text messages read: “You always say you’re gonna do it, but you never do. I just want to make sure tonight is the real thing,” “You just have to do it” and “It’s painless and quick.”

During the trial, Carter’s lawyer argued that the text messages were constitutionally protected speech, with People.com reporting that a court filing noted that the texts, according to her lawyer, “did not contain anything remotely resembling a threat.”

Among the messages, her lawyer also explained, were texts from Carter telling Roy to get “professional help.”

While Carter’s lawyer said that Roy would have committed suicide without his girlfriend’s input, Carter was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and sentenced to serve 15 months in jail, with five years of probation following her jail term. Carter is currently free, pending an appeal.

Roy’s family was outraged by the sentence, with one of his relatives telling reporters: “You don’t want to know our thoughts on today. Go interview her tomorrow while she’s at f***ing Disney World!”

Those who commented on the New York Daily News’ video coverage of the lawsuit had strong opinions about the matter, with one writing: “She didn’t talk him into suicide. The dude had already made 3 suicide attempts before he even met her.  The criminal conviction was a joke and will be reversed on appeal.  This civil suit is just pathetic.”

Another person weighed in with this comment: “So she is suing for future lost wages…really? This is someone that apparently was so suicidal and didn’t have a brain in his head to understand he didn’t have to listen to this girl’s text messages, but he could have earned millions? This only proves what the next generation is coming to and not taking responsibility for their OWN actions. Why is nobody saying ‘Why were his parents not monitoring him?’ if he was that vulnerable?”

Another person noted how Carter’s many texts showed criminal intent, writing: “Had she sent one message, there could be a scenario where I could excuse her actions as an unfortunate accident. But, it is my understanding that she sent out a series of messages over a period of weeks or months. That’s no accident. That’s criminal intent.”

Share this story and help build a home for a disabled veteran.