Dog Undergoes Three-Month Transformation After Almost Dying From Human Hair Dye Treatment : AWM

Dog Undergoes Three-Month Transformation After Almost Dying From Human Hair Dye Treatment

The dangers of using products not intended for your pets – such as human hair dye – were discovered by an animal services group in Pinellas County, Florida. This disturbing story, paired with graphic images, is circulating in an attempt to warn other pet-owners what can happen when they use human products on their dogs and cats. This story concerns a 5-pound white Maltese mix named Violet, whose owners decided would look better with her hair dyed purple.

Unaware that using human hair dye would have disastrous consequences for Violet’s health, the owners went ahead – only to cause massive damage and almost unhealable burns to the poor dog. Now, almost three months after the incident, Violet is still recovering from her injuries.

Almost immediately after being sprayed with the human hair dye, Violet became very weak and started suffering from what were obvious burns. Unresponsive, the dog’s eyes also began to swell up to the point that they were completely shut. The owners took her to Pinellas County Animal Services, where the experienced animal workers took over. They gave her fluids and pain meds and, while being extremely careful, washed off as much of the dye as was possible. Finally, they bandaged her up.

In a post on Facebook, the Pinellas County Animal Services explained what happened next:

“Then we waited – Violet went home with our veterinarian and we waited. And she came in the next morning and we were amazed that she had made it through the night. But still, we waited. She wasn’t out of the woods but she was alert and freely offering kisses.”

It is clear to see the tension in the story – and the amazing dedication of those working on Violet. But there was worse to come; when the time came to shave Violet’s hair off, her skin started to come off too.

“To our horror, her skin began to slough off, it was so much worse than we initially thought – how would this little dog make it through?!?!” the Facebook post says.

The team stepped up the work on Violet, and it was with extensive treatments involving scab removal followed by honey treatments, anesthetizing IV fluids, antibiotics, and pain medication, not to mention countless bandage changes, that Violet was able to pull through. “Still, we worried – Did she have permanent blindness? Would there be infection? Would her hair ever grow back? Was there anything we were missing? When the final badges came off we breathed a collective sigh of relief – Violet was beautiful.”

In the end, the story has a happy ending – but only thanks to the hard work put in by Pinellas County Animal Services. Those working on Violet’s case had one final message to share with pet owners all over, “Please take one thing away from Violet’s journey: only use products specifically meant for pets or you could be putting your pet’s life on the line.” Violet’s owners must be extremely grateful to those who saved their beautiful little dog’s life.