Although her son’s name is Kale, the green leafy vegetable is not the only thing he seems to be munching on. When Kale’s mother, Sara Guidry was tired of hearing her boy complain about a strange pain in his gums, she finally gave in and took a look. With a flashlight, she asked the boy to open wide. Then she took a close, patient look at the boy’s red gums.

They looked a bit inflamed. Then Sara saw something that seemed to be planted inside the gums. And she knew that was not normal. So, she grabbed her tweezers from the bathroom cupboard and then pulled out a fingernail…

People bite and pick their fingernails for many reasons. Sometimes it is stress, other times it is anxiety. Others claim that only perfectionists engage in this relentless form of grooming. But while a bit of it might not be a problem, when it becomes obsessive and injurious, it needs to stop. But this bad habit is a hard one to break. And little Kale’s story proves just how hard this habit is to shatter.

When Sara pulled a fingernail out of Kale’s gums, she was shocked. She knew her son was biting his nails, but she didn’t realize that the fingernail bits were getting stuck in his mouth. No wonder the little boy was in such terrible pain all the time.

Now Sara is sharing her story on Facebook because she wants to warn other parents about the dangers of nail biting.

“I get a tweezer and pull it. It looked like a fingernail. I continued to pull 4 more out. I then search his mouth and find another area. I pulled around 27 out of the second spot. YES 27!”

In total, Kale had 32 fingernail pieces in his gums. It is strange that the boy had this many inside his mouth. And the reason was a strange one, but the dentist explained it to mom and her son.

“We figured out that Kale bites his nails and plays with them in his mouth. He pushes them up towards his pallet. The nail penetrates the skin and goes into a pocket between the baby teeth and permanent teeth. Don’t let your children bite their nails!”

Parents around the world are shocked by Sara’s story. They can’t believe that a simple bad habit like nail biting could cause such severe pain. While stories about the negatives of nail biting have surface before – usually regarding infections around the nail bed site – Sara’s nightmare story is causing a new round of worry.

Because Sara’s warning hit home to parents, more than a quarter million people shared her message with their friends and followers. And among the hundreds of thousands, another one hundred thousand shared comments about the atrocious problem.

Although nail biting usually isn’t so bad, Sara warns parents to curb the habit in their children as early as possible. If they don’t, their children could wind up with nail clippings lodged in their gums.

Please SHARE THIS STORY with a friend online now!