Hungry Kid Has No Money For Lunch, School’s Response Sparks Outrage : AWM

Hungry Kid Has No Money For Lunch, School’s Response Sparks Outrage

When a boy forgot his lunch money, the school “generously” offered him some food so he wouldn’t go hungry for the day. However, when the lunch worker handed the young boy the sandwich, she chuckled, as the sandwich was old, covered in gray mold, and a slap in the face. The boy sent a photo of the moldy sandwich to his mother, who promptly took action to expose the school for trying to shame her son with moldy food after he forgot to bring money for lunch.

Mom Amy Wittaker took to Facebook to shame the school after their lunch department tried to serve her boy moldy bread after he forgot his lunch money. She wrote about how her boy forgot to bring his lunch money to school with him and was “generously” offered a moldy peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

As you can see in the image, mold covers a large portion of the sandwich. It’s both inside and outside of the bread and very obvious. The lunch worker could not have possibly missed the disgusting fungal growth on the boy’s food. How could they have expected him to eat such a thing?

The boy did confront the school about the food. They begrudgingly replaced it. However, the boy no longer felt safe eating anything the school offered after they had almost poisoned him with the moldy bread.

Mom wrote, “I have no idea how someone could not see this was bad when handing it out!”

After the incident occurred, the boy also told his mother that the same thing happened to a friend of his a few weeks ago. Amy attached the photos to the post as a way to challenge the Avon Community School Corporation to do better by its students. In response, the School Corporation did release a statement indicating that they will try harder to serve edible food in their cafeteria.

“We are grateful to be made aware of the situation and have reached out to the parents and apologized. This is an unacceptable human error, and we are looking into it to ensure that this never happens again.”

Whether or not the school has learned its lesson, we do not know.

When it comes to moldy bread, there is no part that is clean.

Chron writes: “That’s because mold is a fungus, like mushrooms. The caps on the surface are easy enough to spot. But there’s a vast network of subterranean ‘roots’ called hyphae that you can’t see.”

Because the bread was moldy, the boy did not have a chance to “eat around it.” And if that bread was taken from a bread bag, the spores of the fungus might have been spreading far and wide, contaminating other children’s sandwiches.

Mold can permeate the bread slice very quickly. Even if it is on the crust of one end, the other side is not edible as the roots of the mold might have implanted themselves into it. Stay safe and keep away from bread that has mold growing on it.

Every time you share an AWM story, you help build a home for a disabled veteran.