Appliances break. It’s just part of life for a homeowner. Just one day after Lindsey and Alan McIver’s washing machine broke down, Lindsey sent Alan to Lowe’s to purchase a new one. He picked out a front-loading system that looked like it would get the job done. When the appliance arrived at their Colorado home, Lindsay and Alan spent the day installing it and made it very clear to their three children that they should absolutely not play with it.

However, something unexpected happened the next morning. The couple’s four-year-old son came running into their bedroom with some terrible news. He was in tears and sobbing, so it was very hard for Lindsey and Alan to figure out what the boy was trying to say. However, Alan knew that something was wrong, so he jumped out of bed and ran downstairs to check out their property. When he went into the laundry room, Alan screamed at the top of his lungs because his toddler was trapped inside the new washing machine.

“Kloe. Inside. Washer,” Alan said.

When Lindsey heard her husband’s screams, she left the bed and hurried downstairs to check out the situation. The dedicated mother was horrified to see her three-year-old daughter locked inside the airtight washing machine. Because she was stuck inside the appliance, Kloe’s screams were quieted as the machine flipped around and filled with water.

Later, after everything had been figured out and Kloe was rescued, Lindsey opened up about her nightmarish experience in a detailed Facebook post that has since gone viral.

“After going through all the ‘what ifs’ and ‘could haves,’ we know we are very blessed, and God had mercy on our sweet daughter,” she wrote. “I post this because I can honestly say we did not realize the danger of this machine. We are continually surprised at the new, inventive ways our kids come up with to try and die. And this was definitely a new one.”

Lindsey and Alan’s story is a frightening reminder to all parents that accidents can happen in the blink of an eye. No matter how many times you tell your children not to play with appliances, they may still find a way to get themselves into trouble. So, it’s important for parents to be aware of the dangers that exist in their homes and take the necessary precautions to prevent accidents from happening.

Fortunately, Kloe was saved from the terrifying situation. But if the couple’s four-year-old son had not rushed into their bedroom crying, they might not have been able to find Kloe in time to save her from drowning in the washing machine.

Please share this post with your friends and family so that they can be aware of the dangers lurking in their own homes. Together, we can help keep our children safe.

What do you think about this Colorado mom’s close call?

Every time you share an AWM story, you help build a home for a disabled veteran.