Every parent wants the best for their children. Or at least the good ones do. But many of us can agree that parents these days do way too much when it comes to their children. Back in the good old days, parents allowed their children to play without supervision when they were as young as five. Now, depending on where children live in the country, their parents won’t let them go outside to play by themselves – even within the family’s own yard – until they are twelve or fourteen years old.
Not only does this bad habit of parenting prevent children from having the fun adventures of childhood, but it also ruins their ability to be independent people. If the job of a parent is to make it is so they don’t have a job, the parents of today are making a sad attempt. And when you read the ridiculous requirements one mother posted when listing a babysitter job, you’ll find yourself either laughing your face off or shaking your head in condemnation.
“Looking for a babysitter in the area. PM me if you’re interested. Here are my requirements!”
Mom then went through an exhaustive list of fourteen requirements that made it nearly impossible for anyone to meet them. And she wanted lots of experience and was willing only to pay a few pennies per hour. And with a boss like that, it is no wonder no one has applied for the job.
The list was as follows.
1) Have a bachelors degree in childcare or 9 years of relevant babysitting experience
2) 3 good references with phone numbers
3) Full-time availability including weekends
4) Your own car and driving license
5) Native English speaking and a preferred second language to teach to my children.
6) CPR certified. Ideally, a CAN license
7) No history of traffic tickets and no problems with the law. I will be running your name thru databases.
8) No tattoos. No drugs. No alcohol. No sketchy social media behavior and/or public pictures.
9) Must be okay with my two pit bulls.
10) Must be okay with emergency last minute calls.
11) Perfect attendance 100% required
12) Willing to pay for some snacks
13) Will love to work with an infant, 3-year-old, and a 5-year-old
14) Ideally will be a Trump fan
In exchange, I will be offering $10/hr under the table cash. It’s like making $15/hr normally but without paying tax.
Serious inquiries only.
Not only did this mother of three wish to pay her babysitter a barely livable wage, she demanded nearly a decade of experience and expensive certifications. She also wanted the babysitter to speak multiple languages and have specific political affiliations.
As you can imagine after reading this list, people online threw a fit that this mom thought this was reasonable.
One person responding wrote, “I thought she meant SHE’D be willing to pay for the babysitter snacks. I was like well I guess that’s nice, then I realized she meant the babysitters would be paying for the snacks. Lovely.”
What do you think about this mom’s exhaustive list of requirements?