A three-year-old girl lost her life due to extreme negligence. After they allegedly put the little girl to bed at 10:30 pm on January 5th, they claimed that they checked in on her 12 hours later, at 10:30 am and the girl appeared to still be sleeping so they left her alone. At 9 pm the following evening on January 6th, they claim that they found the girl dead in her bed when they finally checked on her again.
The girl, Logan Starliper, died from an overdose of methamphetamine and buprenorphine, which is a medication to treat opioid addiction. The girl’s mother, Brittany Higgins, and her boyfriend Brian Bennett were prescribed the mediations Subutex and Suboxone, which contains the medication that was found in Logan’s body.
While authorities cannot confirm how the medication got into the girl’s body, they did share the following…
“With the active investigation with the court events that are to take place, we can’t go into the exact details of what occurred,” said Pennsylvania State Police Trooper Brent Miller. “We do know the child’s death was of a mixed-substance toxicity. All I know is the facts, and those facts state that a child is dead due to drugs that were in the house.”
According to Higgins, she kept her prescription of Suboxone locked in a safe and her meth was kept in a bag and stored on the top shelf of her closet. She also confirmed that Bennett kept his Subutex on the nightstand beside his bed and according to Bennett himself, the meth was kept on him at all times. Police did find three pipes with burnt residue inside.
Higgins informed police that she and Bennett purchased meth from 43-year-old Rodney Mower and injected themselves on January 4 and 5. According to Mower, the couple put up a baby gate to keep Logan and another child out of the bedroom where they injected themselves. The two children may have been blocked by a baby gate, however; it was shared that they were often known to hang onto the gate and watch as Bennett and Higgins committed the acts of drug abuse.
The autopsy revealed that Logan not only had the drugs in her system but she was a victim of neglect and had discoloration around her eyes and cheeks and inside her mouth. Family members and friends also reported that they had seen bruises and marks on Logan’s body over the past six months.
Three days after Logan died, Higgins showed up at her mother’s house and had a mental breakdown, confessing that she had used meth. While there she handed over a bag that was filled with needles, a spoon, and white residue. A few weeks later, she handed over more drug paraphernalia to her mother, who then handed it over to the police.
According to the couple’s record, Higgins had only had a previous traffic ticket, however; Bennett had faced drug and DUI charges.
Higgins, Bennett, and Mower are being held at the Franklin County Jail and have been denied bail. Higgins and Bennett are being charged with third-degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, child endangerment, drug delivery resulting in death, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Mower is being charged with drug delivery resulting in death for allegedly providing.
Every time you share an AWM story, you help build a home for a disabled veteran.